Sunday, May 25, 2008

Firewater Live at the North Star Bar

t's been a while since I've been to a concert. Who better then to mark my return to the fold than that mad traveling band, Firewater. Hot off the heels of their excellent new album, Tod A decided to bring along a new bevy of musicians (he was the only member of the band I saw at the Paradise in Boston four years ago that was also there tonight. No Oren Kaplan or Tamir Muskat) to rock the house in North Philly. And rock the house they did. Nearly the entire set comprised of songs from The Golden Hour, and while that is technically a disappointment (no songs from Ponzi Scheme or Man on the Burning Tightrope), the band was on fire all night long. Tod played guitar the whole night and was backed by another guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, an ABSOLUTELY INSANE Trombone player (Seriously. She was out of this world. Solos in nearly every song. Crazy improvisations. Really impressive stuff), and the capper, an auxiliary percussionist that went back and forth from tablas to bongos to a double sided conga all night. This guy was a lunatic. One of the best pure percussionists I've ever seen. He had a spotlight during the instrumental "Bhanga Bros." that is one of those once in a lifetime experiences that I know I'll never forget. He was jumping around and playing the hell out of those drums all night long. And that's what I really love about Firewater. It was true in Boston and it was true tonight. These people genuinely love to play music. And it shows. Huge smiles on all their faces. Dancing around the stage. Tod being the consummate front man making sure everybody in the club is up out of their seats and having fun. I mean, the selist for the first show I saw was definitely better (no matter how good the new album is, it's not quite the same as "Man With the Blurry Face," "Knock 'Em Down" or "Another Perfect Catastrophe"), but the band for this show was incredible. I have no doubt in my mind that Firewater is the best band I've ever seen live. And I'm thrilled I got the opportunity to bask in their awesomeness one more time. Let's hope it's not the last.

Set List:
Hey Clown
Some Strange Reaction
Borneo
Already Gone
Bhanga Bros.
6:45 (This is How it Feels)
Electric City
Some Kind of Kindness
Get Out of My Head
Weird to Be Back

Encore 1
Paradise
Three Legged Dog

Encore 2
This is My Life

Sure, only 13 songs, but just like last time, everything was drawn out with solos and improvisational jams. That was a solid hour and a half of kick ass music. And what more can you ask for?

No comments: