Monday, March 10, 2008

City Champs Mini Report

It's not really worth it to do a full write up on our Champs tournament, as we had such poor attendance. I'm still going to post my deck and throw in a report on the final round, which I was a part of. So here's the deck.

Characters (29):
4x Catwoman, Cat O' Nine Tails
3x The Penguin, Gentleman of Crime
4x Johnny Quick, Earth 3
3x Superwoman, Earth 3
3x Black Manta, Deepwater Denizen
3x Owlman, Earth 3
3x Jemm, Son of Saturn
1x Ultraman, Earth 3
3x White Martian, Earth 3
2x Prometheus, New Year's Evil
Plot Twists (29):
4x Secret Files
3x Mobilize
4x Flying Kick
4x Savage Beatdown
4x Path of Destruction
3x Blinding Rage
3x The Uni-Power
2x Big Leagues
2x Crime Syndicate of Amerika
Locations (3):
2x Hunte Castle
1x The Hellfire Club

And now, the finals. Both myself and my opponent were 2-1 (Yep, three rounds...) going into the final. My loss was to World's Finest, Josh's loss was to me. This was a matchup of concealed beats vs. concealed beats, as he was running what was basically a standard Skrulls deck (though he was running Titannus). The first time we played earlier in the day, I burned him out with direct attacks on turn four. This time he took evens and tried to stem the endurance loss by keeping some characters visible. An Uni-Power allowed me to take Cap's cosmic counter on turn 3, and Ethan Edwards lost his counter on the defense turn four. Paibok lost his counter on five, but he wouldn't have a problem regenerating it. So let's set the stage for turn six. Going in, he had Captain America behind Frankin Richards in the hidden area, with Paibok in the visible area. Paibok was joined by a Quicksilver, Terrigenesis Rebirth, who took up shop protecting him. I had Black Manta, White Martian and Jemm in the hidden area, and instead of search out Prometheus, I decided to under drop. The three hidden beatsticks were joined in the shadows by Owlman, Earth 3, Superwoman, Earth 3 and Catwoman, Cat O' Nine Tails. Hunte Caste was face up in my row.

Josh had the first attack, and no hidden hate to take advantage of Paibok's counter. He also couldn't flip up his entire row to take advantage of Quicksilver. His only choice was to attack direct with his entire board, dealing a hefty 29 damage and putting me at -20 endurance. He passed the attack to me. I first declared Superwoman to fly over Quicksilver into Paibok. The combination of her effect and the bonuses from White Martian, Owlman and Hunte Castle put her at 9 ATK without pumps, and Paibok went down, taking Superwoman with him, and putting me to -22. Next, Jemm decided to rough up Quicksilver, attacking as a 13/9 into the speedy guy. We both stunned, and I found myself at -26 endurance. At this point, I team attacked direct with a 12 ATK White Martian, 12 ATK Black Manta, 8 ATK Owlman, 6 ATK Catwoman and a Path of Destruction for an additional +4. I gained the two endurance and Josh scooped. We never finished calculating his final endurance total, but I ended up dealing out 54 endurance loss that turn, which would have put him well into the -40's.

It's a shame that I won my first City Champs when so few people showed up. Sure, I have no control over such things, as we tried to get as many people there as possible, but I believe that a lot of people might have thought it was next week. Everyone knows that VS Players thrive on competition, and I am no different. Even still, you take the hand you are dealt, and that makes me the Great Traditions City Champion of DC Legends.

No comments: