Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wild Pig Comics Madness

Twice a year, Wild Pig Comics (www.wildpigcomics.com) in Kenilworth, New Jersey runs a 50% off everything in the store sale. The March sale, which celebrates their anniversary of opening the store, is a 29 hour long period of madness. Hell, the store's still open right now and will remain open until 5 PM tomorrow. So get out there if you're reading this, in the area, love comics and can get there before it ends. You've basically got four major things to buy at these sales. Wall Books for the high quality Silver/Golden Age books (Detective Comics 42 was there for a cool $1,100), priced back issues for the less high profile Silver and Bronze Age books, 50 cent back issues of all kinds of random stuff, and recent 50 cent back issues from the past year to year and a half. I love these sales. I went to the one last October and picked up all kinds of stuff, and this trip was no different.

I went to the store hoping to pick up all three trades of Brian Michael Bendis' Alias. I didn't even really look for them after I found 27 of the 28 issues for 50 cents apiece. Once I find issue 22, I'll have gotten the entire run in pristine condition for basically the price of the first trade. I also got a TON of cosmic Marvel stuff, which was mainly the Jim Starlin Warlock and Warlock & The Infinity Watch as well as a big chunk of Peter David's Genis-Vell Captain Marvel series. I pretty much went nuts, and all told (between three different trips to the cash register), I walked out of there with two trades (Jinx and Batman: Year One) and 170 50 cent comic books ranging in publishing years from 1974 to 2007. It was good times, and it should give me a lot of fodder for retro reviews on read/RANT in the future. I definitely plan to review Alias once I get that last issue and read the whole run.

No comments: