Thursday, June 5, 2008

Good Week

You know, some days everything just seems to work out. Some background: My brother and I decided to combine our gift giving efforts for my father’s birthday by chipping in to pay for a year of Verizon DVR. We were going to get him the standard one room DVR, and in standard Dad fashion, he decided to go above and beyond and order the Hi Def Multi Room DVR and buy an HDTV (while still only expecting our original price in payment). We got the box Monday night, and I attempted to set it up Tuesday after he acquired the new TV. Lots of frustration and more than an hour spent on the phone with Verizon led to no working set top box. And this was after seeing my beloved Red Wings fall 34.3 seconds short of winning the Stanley Cup in Hockeytown, only to lose the game 47 minutes of overtime later at around 1 AM. So I was a bit frustrated. And Tuesday’s work sucked. And Rock Band DLC was pretty disappointing (as interested as I am in three tier seven drum songs, I’m not buying a Disturbed pack). Then Wednesday came around. And things took a turn.

Wednesdays of course mean new comics day. And this one was a doosy. Secret Invasion #3, Kick-Ass #3 and Trinity #1, all very good books (look for reviews on read/RANT soon). Got home from work to find a replacement Set Top Box waiting. Set it up and we were still having a few issues, but after 20 minutes on the phone (mostly while holding), we got it working. And I turned on the TV and set it to the NBC HD feed just in time to see Lord Stanley’s Cup in pristine HD staring back at me. Two and a half hours later as Nicklas Lidstrom was skating over to raise the Cup, all was as it should be. My Wings are on top of the hockey world, and the Sox are in the process of smacking down the upstart Rays and cementing their place on top of the AL East. Things were looking up. I’ve got the Random Punks tourney to look forward to this weekend, and while I still have to put together the cards, my Heralds/Inhumans bounce deck is put together and ready for good times.

And this morning was the icing on the cake. Temping for a company is always a dangerous game, and I had been informed last week that my contract would be expiring on the 13th and my department would be unable to extend my time. Well, turns out that’s not exactly the case. I got extended a month. So I’m still in business through mid-July, which puts me that much closer to the relocation in July. Good times.

No comments: